Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Day 5 of 7 Days of Books I Loved -- Scholastic Books

Day 5
SCHOLASTIC BOOK FLYERS AND FAIRS

Day 5 of books I loved. Scholastic Book Flyers and Fairs. What a thrilling day it was in grade school when the teacher handed out the flyers and we could see all the wonderful possibilities. My recollection is that I could only pick a few titles -- perhaps my adult life is a reaction formation to my more limited access to books I could keep as a kid. Anyway, it's obvious I still have lots of my childhood library, so it's not like I was deprived  I just loved seeing all the books in the flyer.. and in later years at the school book fair. Photos here are titles I fondly remember from that era.

This "Arrow Book Club" flyer photo is one I found online that most resembles the Scholastic Flyers I recall.

The format is similar to the Scholastic Book Club flyers I remember... and the titles here are of the right era.
Some Scholastic favorites --
"How to Care for Your Monster" written and illustrated by Norman Birdwell
Boy did I love this book!!! I only realized recently it's by the same author-illustrator of the "Clifford the Big Red Dog" series.
"Champ - Gallant Collie" by Patricia Lauber. Illustrations by Leonard Shortall
If you're a collie fan and aren't familiar with this title, you're in for a treat. It's a terrific adventure story for young readers with a good lesson about building character and self-reliance. I gave this book it's own "Closer Look" post on the blog. The Closer Look includes several of interior illustrations, as well as a synopsis, and some biographical info on the author and artist. Here's the link: http://stuartngbooks.blogspot.com/2019/06/champ-gallant-collie-by-patricia-lauber.html
"A Pony for the Winter" by Helen Kay. Illustrations by Ingrid Fetz.
One of the first stories I recall reading about a proactive young heroine who works hard to get what she's dreaming about. So many of the books those days were about boys and animals. 
"Midnight - Champion Bucking Horse" written and illustrated by Sam Savitt.
Sam Savitt (1917 - 2000) was a renowned equestrian artist and prolific author-illustrator, especially of books for young people. This was one of many of his books I adored. His children run his website: http://www.samsavitt.com/
"Follow My Leader" by James B. Garfield
Perhaps the first story I read about a service animal and that special bond. Also traumatized a generation of young readers with its lesson about the dangers of playing with fireworks.
"Afraid to Ride" written and illustrated by C. W. Anderson
C.W. Anderson was another famed equestrian artist who also produced many books for young readers. His "Billy and Blaze" series was also a favorite of mine. There's a photo of Anderson and more about him in this post on the blog https://stuartngbooks.blogspot.com/2011/12/gift-of-inspiration-cw-anderson.html
"Clifford the Big Red Dog" a series of early readers written and illustrated by Norman Birdwell.
Who wouldn't want to read about a playful giant puppy pal owned by a young GIRL.

"The Story of Helen Keller" by Lorena Hickok
One of the few biographies about accomplished women that were available to young readers at this time. I loved this story as much for the inspiring tale of teacher Annie Sullivan as the transformation of Helen.
"Little House on the Prairie" series of books by Laura Ingalls Wilder
The charming illustrations of Garth Williams only enhanced the fairy tale feeling of this series of books. I read and loved all of them. Re-reading them as an adult, and seeing the sacrifices and folly of the parents from that perspective, is an interesting experience. Wilder's daughter Rose became a journalist, and some credit her with the success of her mother's books. http://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/rose-wilder-lane-secret-behind-little-house-books/

No comments: