Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Google Doodle -- celebrating Felicitas Mendez 9.15.20

The start of Hispanic Heritage Month 2020 inspired this Google Doodle.


Here's a You Tube clip about the Doodle
text from clip:
On the first day of Hispanic Heritage Month 2020 in the U.S., today’s Doodle celebrates Puerto Rican civil rights pioneer and business owner Felicitas Mendez. Alongside her husband Gonzalo, Felicitas helped to spearhead and win the monumental lawsuit Mendez v. Westminster, which in 1946 resulted in the first US federal court ruling against public school segregation—almost a decade before Brown v. Board of Education. 

On this Google Doodle page link you'll find an interview w/ Doodle artist Emily Barrera
https://www.google.com/doodles/celebrating-felicitas-mendez

This quote is from Felicitas Mendez' daughter Sylvia:
Special thanks to the family of Felicitas Mendez for their partnership on this project. Below, Sylvia Mendez shares her thoughts on her mother’s legacy: 
I am so proud to be the daughter of Felicitas and Gonzalo Mendez and to have the opportunity to keep the promise I made to my mother. I remember my mother saying to me, "No one knows about Mendez vs Westminster, how five families fought to end segregation in California. When we all decided to fight, it was not only for you but for all the children."
It was that day that I promised my mother I would make sure everyone knew about the fight and Mendez vs Westminster. It became my legacy!!


Use this link to see previous doodle page posts here on the blog.
http://stuartngbooks.blogspot.com/2014/05/google-doodle-mystery-artist-with-links.html

No comments: