Thursday, July 31, 2008

FAQ - Who is Stuart Ng of Stuart Ng Books?

There’s background information about Stuart under “About Us” on the website, so I won’t repeat his resume here. The main thing to know about Stuart is that books and art are his passion. That’s how he became a bookseller. For over 30 years, he’s been collecting books and studying about illustration and animation art and artists.

Stuart Ng Books became Stuart’s full-time job in 1997. He loves what he does, and like any small business owner, his life is his work and his days are 24/7. There is never a moment when he isn’t thinking about how to promote the art and artists he loves, and find the best books for his patrons.

Bookselling is not a sensible way to make a living. Stuart Ng is a romantic, and Stuart Ng Books is a love story.

I have known Stuart since 1983. Neither of us imagined we would end up as booksellers. However, this is the role where Stuart is best able to use his unique abilities and help artists. There is no logical reason for Stuart Ng Books to exist. We have no business background. Nothing about what we do makes sense as a business plan or model. I have attended some small business seminars and tried to learn more about what “real” businesses are like…. but I’ll be the first to admit that I’m no entrepreneur. I don’t run Stuart Ng Books. I'm the one that worries that the business is running both of us into the ground. My anxieties aside, it’s obvious to me that Stuart has found his niche. Stuart skills are helpful to our patrons and the artists we serve. This is a community we both care about, and Stuart gets to do something he loves for a living.

It’s karma.

And it has a lot to do with Claire Wendling.

No comments: