Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Day 3 of 7 Days of Books I Loved -- Black Beauty

Day 3
BLACK BEAUTY
Complete and Unabridged
Day 3 of books I loved. Anna Sewell only wrote one book in her lifetime, but it's the classic "Black Beauty." My childhood copy is the unabridged edition and includes the War Horse and Barn Fire chapters often omitted for kids adaptations. I was lucky to have already taken riding lessons by the time I read Black Beauty. Sewell's understanding of horses, and how much education she weaves into her tale of hardship, kindness, compassion and the bittersweet ending of being back home but missing absent friends makes this book a masterpiece. I've included books from my library related to bios on Anna Sewell and on horses in kids lit.


Endpaper illustration.



The Barn Fire chapter Illustration..

The War Horse chapter. Long before the War Horse book that became the Spielberg film. I could never see the film... even with my 2 fav brit actors in it!!! .. because reading this chapter from Black Beauty was enough War Horse experience for my lifetime.

Books about Anna Sewell... author of "Black Beauty"


Book collector magazine.
 Article inside discusses many beloved Children's books that feature horses.

Below are photos from "The Annotated Black Beauty" referenced above:
 This book is a detailed education in Victorian era horsemanship.



For a more kid-friendly annotated edition, I highly recommend this Dorling Kindersley version:

No comments: